Vice President of Sales
Roles and Responsibilities
The Vice President of Sales will define and execute the business plan and new business strategy for a top 50 agency in the promotional industry located in Reston, VA. Reporting to the President and leading a team of business development managers to revenue generation for the company, the Vice President of Sales is charged with expanding the company’s business by outreach, presentation and sales to targeted C-Suite and senior level decision makers across a variety of targeted industry verticals and environments, with an emphasis on Fortune 1000 and leading associations.
The Vice President of Sales will be one-part strategic leader, one-part expert business development professional and one-part skilled relationship manager. The Vice President of Sales will lead the team to proactively uncover areas of opportunity, and present and sell consultative custom solutions targeted to Sales, Marketing and HR executives across a variety of targeted industry verticals and environments.
The Vice President of Sales will possess a demonstrated experience in sales and business development leadership in a B2B and/or professional services setting, particularly working at the strategic and executive levels, while leading a team to operationalize those strategies. The Vice President of Sales will have a unique ability to build relationships and develop networks, propose and present complex solutions and negotiate complex contracts.
This industry leader seeks a confident, resourceful and self-initiating team player with the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, multi-pronged work environment where each individual contributor is expected to:
- Drive projects forward while also working collaboratively to achieve shared goals
- Manage clients independently
- Make important decisions about sales approach and network development
- Leverage the strengths of the company’s team to deliver the high-quality, high-impact work that makes up the core of their reputation.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Lead and develop a team of 4-6 business development managers.
- Take ownership of revenue and margin goals as established in partnership with executive leadership.
- Seek out and source new clients by developing networks and independently identifying and developing relevant resources for sales and business development.
- Consultatively sell company’s products, services and technologies to C-Suite and senior level decision makers.
- Collaborate with members of the company’s executive team to ensure an excellent client experience across all client interactions from discovery through delivery and follow up.
- Work collaboratively with the CMO to develop creative outreach strategies to attract and retain clients.
Essential Skills/Attributes of the Ideal Candidate
- Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of 10 years of professional work experience in B2B sales, sales in professional services, sales to HR and team leaders
- Proven expertise in successfully building and managing a sales team, and a history of applied sales discipline to achieve goals.
- Exceptional relationship management skills and the ability to build and grow connections with people of all types and backgrounds.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Independent critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills.
- Comfortable and confident using technology as an integral part of the sales process.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, with the ability to keep multiple projects and client engagements active at once.
- Comfort with ambiguity and ability to navigate uncertainty.
- Style alignment with a strengths-oriented team environment and the ability to naturally elevate others.
- Interest in working as part of a small but growing company, with awareness about the opportunities and challenges that come with a highly adaptive environment.
- Dynamic and engaging, with a sense of humor and ability to not take oneself too seriously.